Patten’s Pond

Patten’s Pond is located on Main Street opposite the Post Office. In 1930, Miss Annie Montgomery Horton, an active AIA member and aunt of Hawley Patten, gave the entire south-west shoreline of Patten’s Pond to the AIA as a bird reservation. Other abutters, Annie F. Whelpley, Harriet M. Merrill, Margeurite Merrill, and B.J. Checkoway followed her example and waived their shore rights, resulting in a 25-foot strip around the pond for the Association.

The plaque on the stone reads, “Patten’s Pond Bird Reservation, land presented by AIA 1948, Annie M. Horton, Annie F. Whelpley, Harriet M. Merrill, Margeurite Merrill, B.J. Checkoway.”

Advertisement